When life gives you lemons get creative | Soergel Orchards Farm
When life gives you lemons
Let’s make a really cute one-year-old birthday session out of it! Sounds like a great idea to me.
Oh, the enchanting farm life!
While it may not be my everyday reality, I can still pretend to live on a farm. I love to capture its beauty and create a whimsical experience during photo sessions. When the timing is right, and the farms are willing and able, I will book one of these fun rustic photo sessions on one of my many favorite farms.
While Soergels really doesn’t have rows of lemons trees ( you may or may not know they are known for their apple orchard ), I had to get super creative, and dang, it was a lot of fun, let me tell you. The session was specifically curated from the outfits, bows, sets, and lemons down to the location.
My images were taken at Soergel Orchards: A Harvest Haven in Pittsburgh, PA.
The cost to shoot was $25.00 at the time.
Nestled in the heart of Pittsburgh, PA, Soergel Orchards is a treasured gem that embodies the spirit of community, farm-fresh produce, and wholesome family experiences. With its rich history, picturesque orchards, and wide array of activities, Soergel Orchards has become a beloved destination for locals and visitors alike. Join us as we delve into the enchanting world of Soergel Orchards and discover its delights.
- A Legacy of Farming: Soergel Orchards has a proud heritage dating back to 1850 when Samuel Soergel first planted apple trees on the family farm. Over generations, the Soergel family has nurtured the orchards, expanding their offerings to include a diverse range of fruits, vegetables, and other farm-fresh products. This commitment to sustainable agriculture and preserving the land’s natural beauty has made Soergel Orchards a trusted name in the Pittsburgh community.
- Orchard Exploration: Visiting Soergel Orchards is an immersive experience that allows visitors to reconnect with nature and their food source. Wander through the rows of meticulously maintained apple, peach, cherry, and pear trees, savoring the sweet fragrance and vibrant colors of the orchard. Depending on the season, visitors can even participate in U-pick activities, filling their baskets with ripe, juicy fruits straight from the tree.
- Farm Market Delights: The Farm Market at Soergel Orchards is a food lover’s paradise. Bursting with an abundance of fresh produce, homemade baked goods, jams, jellies, and locally sourced products, the market showcases the best of what the region has to offer. From crisp apples to heirloom tomatoes and fragrant herbs, there is something to satisfy every palate and inspire culinary creations. Take a moment to chat with the friendly staff, who are always eager to share recipe ideas and insights about the farm’s offerings.
- Festivals and Events: Soergel Orchards is renowned for its lively festivals and events, drawing crowds from near and far. The orchard hosts seasonal celebrations throughout the year, such as the Apple Fest, Pumpkin Fest, and Strawberry Festival. These events feature live music, hayrides, petting zoos, corn mazes, and a plethora of family-friendly activities that create lasting memories for visitors of all ages. It’s the perfect opportunity to experience the charm of the farm while indulging in delicious treats and embracing the joy of the harvest season.
- Farm-to-Table Cuisine: Soergel Orchards takes pride in contributing to Pittsburgh’s vibrant farm-to-table movement. Local restaurants and eateries often source their fresh produce and ingredients directly from the orchard, allowing visitors to savor the flavors of the region. Whether it’s a delectable apple pie, a refreshing fruit salad, or a farm-fresh cider, the farm-to-table experience at Soergel Orchards ensures that every bite is infused with the essence of local goodness.
Soergel Orchards is more than just a farm—it’s a destination embodying the timeless beauty of agriculture, community connections, and celebrating nature’s bounty. With its charming orchards, bustling farm market, delightful festivals, and commitment to sustainable practices, Soergel Orchards continues to captivate the hearts of all who visit. So, come and immerse yourself in this pastoral oasis, where the seasons come alive and the fruits of the land nourish both body and soul.
Exploring Pittsburgh’s other Vibrant Farming Community
- The Pittsburgh Public Market: Located in the Strip District, the Pittsburgh Public Market is a vibrant gathering place that showcases a diverse range of local farmers, artisans, and food vendors. This bustling market offers a delightful variety of fresh produce, locally sourced meats, dairy products, and a myriad of handcrafted items. From seasonal fruits and vegetables to artisanal cheeses and homemade jams, the market truly embodies the essence of Pittsburgh’s local farm community.
- Trax Farms: Situated just a short drive south of Pittsburgh in Finleyville, Trax Farms has been a local favorite for over 150 years. This family-owned farm features an expansive market bursting with fresh produce, including pumpkins, apples, and a wide selection of colorful vegetables. Their picturesque orchards offer an inviting backdrop for a day of apple picking, while the Farm Market boasts an assortment of delectable baked goods, locally sourced honey, and farm-raised meats.
- Who Cooks for You Farm: Nestled in New Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, a scenic drive away from Pittsburgh, Who Cooks for You Farm is a testament to sustainable farming practices. This certified organic farm is dedicated to producing high-quality, nutrient-rich produce while prioritizing environmental stewardship. With a focus on community-supported agriculture (CSA), this farm offers weekly or biweekly subscriptions for fresh, seasonal produce, encouraging a direct connection between farmers and consumers.
- Churchview Farm: Located in Baldwin, just a short drive from downtown Pittsburgh, Churchview Farm is a small-scale farm that takes pride in its commitment to organic and sustainable farming. Here, you’ll find an impressive selection of seasonal vegetables, flowers, and herbs. The farm also hosts various workshops, farm-to-table dinners, and events, providing an immersive experience for visitors eager to learn about sustainable agriculture and connect with the local farming community.
- Quiet Creek Herb Farm & School of Country Living: Situated in Brookville, Pennsylvania, approximately 80 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, Quiet Creek Herb Farm is worth the journey for anyone seeking an educational and enriching experience. This unique farm and school offer organic gardening, herbal medicine, and sustainable living classes. Visitors can explore the herb gardens, purchase herbal products, and even take part in workshops to expand their knowledge and appreciation for the wonders of nature.
Pittsburgh’s local farm community presents a cornucopia of opportunities to embrace sustainable, healthy living. Whether you’re exploring the bustling aisles of the Pittsburgh Public Market, picking apples at Trax Farms, or immersing yourself in the educational experience at Quiet Creek Herb Farm, the region’s farms offer a connection to nature and an appreciation for locally grown, fresh produce. By supporting these local farms, we nourish our bodies and contribute to a thriving and sustainable agricultural landscape in Pittsburgh and beyond. So, next time you’re in Steel City, don’t miss the chance to savor these farms’ bounty.
Pamela Salai Photography is a Pittsburgh local. I specialize in Child Photography, maternity, and family, and now HS seniors!
Pamela photographs in the surrounding areas: not limited to McCandles Township, Wexford, Franklin Township, Sewickley Township, Butler County, Cranberry Township, and Washington County.
Available for travel (fees apply)
If you would like more information regarding booking a custom session with Pamela Salai Photography, please click here or contact me directly by clicking on the contact button at the top of my website or email me at email@example.com.
I use natural light and organic settings to create custom magic for each session.
1. Sign up for my emails: CLICK HERE on the right side; you will see a “sign up ” where you can enter your emails.
2. Join my private group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1686002001654081/
3. FACEBOOK you can choose to “see first” or even set the notifications on